Edens Spur resurfacing begins despite strike
July 6, 2010 (WLS) -- A local construction strike will not affect a new project on the Edens Spur.
The work got under way Tuesday morning on the roadway that connects the Edens Expressway and the Tri-State Tollway.
The construction work closes one lane of traffic in each direction for five miles. The Illinois Tollway has a "no-strike" contract with the work crews on the spur project.
Construction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
The $15 million Roadway and Bridge Rehabilitation Project on the 50-year-old roadway will mill off the top layer of asphalt, repair the concrete base of the road and resurface the road with a new, two-inch layer of asphalt on the three-and-a-half mile section of pavement east of the Toll Plaza, an Illinois Tollway press release said.
The project also includes rehabilitation of seven bridge structures and construction of three noise abatement walls east of the Waukegan Road Interchange, the release said.
More info on spur resurfacing closures:
Roadway and bridge rehabilitation work began westbound at 9 a.m Tuesday. By mid-afternoon, westbound traffic was reduced to a single lane with traffic traveling in the right lane and the work zone on the left. The auxiliary lane at the entrance from the Edens Expressway will close, with a single lane entrance maintained during construction.
On Wednesday night, work will begin eastbound on the Tri-State Tollway at Duffy Road, shifting traffic to the right and reducing the entrance ramp to the eastbound Edens Spur to a single lane. Three mainline lanes will continue to the southbound Tri-State Tollway.
When all lanes reopen by 5 a.m. Thursday, the eastbound lanes on the Edens Spur also will be reduced to a single lane. Traffic between the Tri-State Tollway and the Union Pacific Railroad will be traveling in the right lane with a work zone on the left. Traffic will weave to the left lane at the Union Pacific Railroad and continue in the left lane to the Edens Expressway. Traffic is expected to remain in this configuration for approximately two months before shifting lanes to begin work on the left.
For more info:
www.illinoistollway.com - Construction Section - for details by road. Or sign up for the Tollway's eNewsletter
1-800-TOLL-FYI - daily lane closure info
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break 33 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 39 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 39 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 42 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured 58 min ago
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
42 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water...
33 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
39 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
39 min ago