Construction to begin on I-294/90 ramp
July 5, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- New bridge construction on a busy Tri-State interchange near O'Hare could make driving to the airport as well as the daily commute more challenging.
The I-294/I-90 interchange near O'Hare is already a complex twist of merges and exits. Beginning Wednesday morning, the ramp from the southbound tri-state to eastbound I-90, which becomes the Kennedy Expressway, will close as part of an extensive tri-level bridge rehabilitation project, and that could be a traffic headache waiting to happen.
"I take a lot of trips back and forth from the airport and that delay right there might cause me, even though we have to leave early, we'll have to leave earlier to try and beat the traffic," said Brandon Norton, tri-state tollway driver.
"I do a lot of travel for business here so it's going to be a longer drive," said Anthony Zarb, tri-state tollway driver .
The posted detour will take drivers westbound on the I-190 ramp toward O'Hare, exiting at Mannheim Road south, re-entering eastbound I-190, which will merge with the inbound Kennedy Expressway.
More than 32,000 vehicles use the I-294/90 interchange each day. This is the first complete rehab of the flyover bridge since it was built in 1958.
Next year crews will work on the ramp from northbound tri-state to westbound I-90, but one lane will remain open during the 2012 repairs.
The price tag for the 2-year bridge rehabilitation is $13 million.
traffic, roz varon
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Jury deliberates in Allan Kustok murder trial 55 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 40 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space 56 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos