LIVE Love My Car -- Ride Janie Ride 2012
May 3, 2012 (PRESS RELEASE) -- The Ride Janie Ride 2012 motorcycle run will be held Sunday, May 6, 2012 to benefit three children from the Chicago area with a blood cancer.
The ride will begin at Wild Fire Harley Davidson and Buell, 120 W. North Ave., Villa Park; follow a 50-mile fully escorted route through the Western suburbs and end at Ballydoyle Irish Pub in Aurora. Registration and activities start at 8:30 a.m. Kickstands up at 11 a.m. Nonriders may join the after party at Ballydoyle starting at 12:00, featuring free food, free soft drinks, live music, door prizes, raffles and silent auctions.
This will be the sixth annual Ride Janie Ride event, which is sponsored by the Ride Janie Ride Foundation, an organization started by a group of motorcycle enthusiasts whose friend, Jane Orlock Bawel of Downers Grove, was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, needed an allergenic stem cell transplant and faced astronomical medical expenses not covered by medical insurance.
"The outpouring of love, support and healing that day from the hundreds of motorcyclists and attendees was a gift I will treasure always," says Bawel. "My husband, Brandon, and I felt so blessed that we wanted to pay it forward." Thus, the Ride Janie Ride Foundation was formed. Last year, the run benefited three Chicago area children and one young woman, Kathryn Pekarik (27) of Downers Grove, Kylie Arnold (4) of Yorkville, Becca Mueller (8) of LaGrange Park and Cameron Smith (2) of Romeoville, who were diagnosed with a various type of blood cancer. Those four families join the Bawels and the previous recipient families in "paying it forward" as 2012 Ride Janie Ride volunteers.
This year's ride will benefit Maxwell Donnelly (5) of Plainfield, Skylar Huffstutler (12) of Braidwood and Giovanni Nicoski-Rios (8) of West Chicago, who have all been diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. The donation to participate is $25/rider, $15/passenger, and $15/nonrider. Event details and pre-registration are available on the Ride Janie Ride Foundation Web site
- South Korea ferry sinks; 292 missing, at least 3 dead 8 min ago
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 25 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 44 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand