Cold weather driving tips from IDOT
January 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Be sure to check forecast before heading out.
Plan ahead and make sure the trip is necessary - combining multiple stops into one trip whenever possible.
Allow your vehicle a little extra time to warm up.
Always keep your gas tank 2/3's full to prevent the vehicle's fuel line from freezing.
Carry mobile device with telephone numbers for emergency services ie; *999 for IDOT and Tollway, AAA,
Carry an emergency car care kit that contains jumper cables, flares or reflectors, windshield washer fluid, ice scraper, traction material, blankets, non-perishable food and a first aid kit.
Especially for long distant trips.
Make sure family members are aware of your plans if driving alone.
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side 56 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday 57 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 20 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
20 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected...
57 min ago
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
56 min ago