Cold weather driving tips from IDOT
January 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Be sure to check forecast before heading out.
Plan ahead and make sure the trip is necessary - combining multiple stops into one trip whenever possible.
Allow your vehicle a little extra time to warm up.
Always keep your gas tank 2/3's full to prevent the vehicle's fuel line from freezing.
Carry mobile device with telephone numbers for emergency services ie; *999 for IDOT and Tollway, AAA,
Carry an emergency car care kit that contains jumper cables, flares or reflectors, windshield washer fluid, ice scraper, traction material, blankets, non-perishable food and a first aid kit.
Especially for long distant trips.
Make sure family members are aware of your plans if driving alone.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home