Bay Area Traffic
Teenager killed in San Francisco rollover accident identified
SAN FRANCISCO -- The 16-year-old teenager who was killed in a rollover accident in SF"s Pacific Heights on Friday has been identified. He was on his way to Lincoln High with his mom and sister when police say a speeding driver slammed into their van, killing him Friday morning. His fellow students are struggling to process what happened.
This was a morning crash that left a scene of crumpled cars and killed Kevin San. He was a passenger in a minivan that was hit by a speeding silver Mercedes.
Word quickly spread at Abraham Lincoln High School that one of their students was in that crash.
"A Junior or a senior that passed away. I didn't know who it was. And there was a guy at our class that was missing, it was Kevin San," classmate Haitao Zhang said.
"We sat next each other in home room for the last three years. We would talk a lot, we'd help each other with homework, we'd play games together," student Omar Sinata said.
Fellow students describe San as an avid bicyclist and an active member of the JROTC Drum Corp.
A candle and some flowers have already been set up just feet from where the fatal crash happened.
San's mother, sister and three other people were injured and taken to the hospital.
Witnesses say the silver Mercedes Benz came careening down Gough Street before it rear-ended the minivan waiting at the red light at Pine and Gough.
"I saw the car going fast, but there was another car sitting there, a van was sitting there, and it got bopped, and I watched it flip over," witness Tanya Smith said.
The driver of the silver Mercedes was not seriously injured.
Police say the driver of the Mercedez may have been speeding at about 80 mph.
Officer's spotted the speeding SUV, but had little time to react.
greg suhr, SFPD, sffd, pacific heights, crash, bay area traffic
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 13 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 32 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
13 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos