It's beginning to feel -- and even look -- like winter
Sub-freezing temperatures and even a few flurries arrived as wintry weather settles in. As temperatures continue to fall and energy costs continue to rise, there are some easy steps homeowners can take to save money.
"There's no such thing as too much insulation in the attic. If you've got six inches you might want to add six more," said John Cantafio, John Cantafio Remodeling.
Make sure that the paper side of the insulation faces in toward the house. This will help keep moisture from collecting on the house's frame.
Another way to keep your energy costs down is to maintain your fireplace.
"If you've got a wood-burning fireplace, and you aren't using it, you want to keep the damper closed," said Cantafino.
If the flue is not closed properly a tremendous amount of heat can escape up the chimney.
Perhaps the greatest loss of a home's heat is through poorly sealed windows.
Several companies make a plastic sheeting designed to cover your windows. Now that the weather has turned colder furnaces are beginning to run more frequently. Mark Ronan has his furnace maintained to make sure no problems develop.
"I just have a contract with them, a three-year contract where they come in twice a year, once for the air conditioning and once for the furnace," said Mark Ronan, homeowner.
An expert can clean out the furnace, which helps it run more efficiently and keeps it from breaking down.
"Basically, what we did- we had the burners pulled out. We had the burners cleaned. We pull out the pilot. And the sensors. And we have those cleaned out as well," said Jaime, Heatmasters
To save money throughout the winter it's advised to set your thermostat at 68-degrees or lower.
Energy costs are expected to go up about 10-percent.
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot