Information gathered from government-sponsored online resources.
Advising on building codes and flood plain management...teaching people how to get through a disaster...helping equip local and state emergency preparedness...coordinating the federal response to a disaster...making disaster assistance available to states, communities, businesses and individuals...training emergency managers...supporting the nation's fire service...administering the national flood and crime insurance programs...the range of FEMA's activities is broad indeed.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): Storm Prediction Service
The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) is part of the National Weather Service (NWS) and the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP). Our mission is to provide timely and accurate forecasts and watches for severe thunderstorms and tornadoes over the contiguous United States.
Emergency Management Agency
To protect the lives and property of citizens before a disaster strikes through planning, training, and mitigation and to reduce human suffering after a disaster strikes through prompt and effective coordination of the state's response and recovery efforts utilizing partnerships with state, local, and federal agencies and voluntary organizations.
Cook County Emergency Management Agency
The Cook County Sheriff's Emergency Management Agency (EMA) is responsible for providing a comprehensive emergency management system that will integrate all available operating departments, levels of government, and the private sector into a cohesive disaster management team. Under the direction of the President of the County Board, the Cook County Sheriff is responsible for the planning and preparedness necessary to coordinate the elements of an effective emergency management program.
The aftermath: Contractors and repairs
Information for dealing with the aftermath of a tornado, furnished by the Illinois Attorney General's Office.
American Red Cross
The American Red Cross sends teams to help victims of disaster recove.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Fmr. student allegedly threatened Glenbard East H.S.
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Four schools spared during final CPS vote
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Memorial Day: Travel down, gas prices up
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos