Severe storms strike Chicago area for 4th day straight
June 27, 2013 (HAMMOND, Ind.) (WLS) -- A new round of strong storms raced across parts of the Chicago area Thursday night downing trees and power lines.
Hammond is in the dark tonight, as street lights are out and businesses are closed after a storm blasted the city, triggering a power outage. The winds blew down a huge tree, which then toppled and damaged a home in central Hammond.
"The foundation is the most damaged. When the tree fell, it pushed the foundation inward," said Angela Brooks, Hammond resident.
Police say much of the damage is in Central Hammond. No one was injured here, but the wind blew down
"I looked around and saw the whole side of the wall caved in, tv hit the ground. It was crazy," said Louis Jones, Hammond resident.
In Illinois, high winds blasted Cicero.
"A lot of power lines down, lot of trees down, power lines, trees on buildings, things like that. So we got everybody out working diligently trying to remove it," said Dominick Buscemi, Cicero Fire Department.
Trees crashed on top of homes and cars, creating problems for residents.
"I had just gotten here from work, and couple minutes after the wind started coming again, just like on Monday. But this time it was with a lot of rain. After that rain started pouring and then that's when the tree fell on top of my truck," said Marisol Perez.
In addition, major delays were reported at O'Hare and Midway airports on Thursday afternoon.
severe weather, stacey baca
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 49 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant