6ABC Action News At 4
Honest Tom's Taco Truck
July 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Drexel grad took his passion for authentic south of the border fare and crammed it all in a food truck.The food stop is a mobile Mexican feast.
"We're a taco truck," says Tom McCusker. His truck, Honest Tom's Taco Shop, is parked for the summer right in front of the Franklin Institute in Aviator Park. Not that you could miss it!
"It's loud! Some people say its psychedelic," says Tom. The City's Mural Arts Program painted it for him.
When it comes to tacos, he's keeping it honest: Fresh flour or corn tortillas cradling homemade guacamole, shredded cheese and salsa.
"Every day we do one meat taco and one vegetarian option. The day we pulled up, it was chicken, pork or sweet potato," Tom says. "Friday we do fish and plantain tacos,"
Herman, the Vice President and Beverage Manager, helps you wash it all down with specialty sips from his homeland.
"He brought in a bunch of stuff he knew from Mexico like the jamaica tea," Tom says. "It's spelled like Jamaica but it's actually the Spanish word for hibiscus."
He also serves horchata, a cinnamon-flavored rice milk. Be sure you get it all before it's gone - honestly!
"We try to make everything here in the morning and then sell it that day," Tom says, "and we leave when it sells out which is usually around 1:40 to 2 pm."
Tom serves serving lunch five days a week and breakfast tacos on Saturdays. He updates his location daily on Facebook and Twitter and is also opening a restaurant in West Philadelphia next month.
Honest Tom's Taco truck is in position:
Tues - Fri: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
The truck takes cash only.
You can find out more at: Honest Tom's Taco Shop on Facebook.
You can follow Honest Tom's Taco Shop on Twitter.
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 1 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 22 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 58 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 14 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos