6ABC Action News At 4
NJ soccer player eyes World Cup gold
DELRAN, NJ - July 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Her team wowed the world this past weekend and they say they aren't done yet.
Carli Lloyd is a member of the U.S. Women's World Cup soccer team, which pulled off an improbable win against Brazil on Sunday.
However, some say, more importantly that she's a hometown girl. Lloyd grew up and started on the playing fields of Delran, New Jersey.
On Sunday, people in her hometown closely followed the last minute win by Team USA over Brazil.
With seconds ticking down, a play set up by Lloyd eventually lead to the USA win.
"They had nothing to lose and they went for it. Carli got the ball, sent it out wide, a great cross, and a perfect finish. Nothing more than you can ask for," said brother Stephen Lloyd.
With the Brazil win, Team USA is now in the final four.
On Wednesday, they take on France and if victorious they will play either Sweden or Japan in the championship.
Lloyd is now part of a team that some compare to the 1999 USA team that won it all.
"What they did in 1999 was legendary. Its hard because a lot of people want to compare us but I really believe that we're writing our own story," said Lloyd in Germany.
Lloyd was asked for a prediction concerning Wednesday's game with France.
She declined specifics, but said she believes it's the USA's destiny to win the World Cup this year.
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos