6ABC Action News At 4
Pumpkin-butternut squash ravioli
Get the inside scoop of the latest dish that Alicia Vitarelli helped cook up!
Prepare the filling
1 whole butternut squash
2 Tbs blended oil
Salt and pepper
Progression: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds and discard. Oil a flat sheet pan. Season squash flesh side with salt and pepper and lay on baking sheet flesh side down. Bake until soft. Approx 1 hour, however, time will vary depending on squash size. Remove from oven and cool. Scoop out squash and discard skin. Place squash in a colander over a bowl, cover with plastic and place in refrigerator overnight. The next day most of the liquid should have passed through colander into bowl.
Making the ravioli
Cooked butternut squash
1/4 cup ricotta
¼ cup parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 sage leaves
2 Tablespoon crushed ameretti cookies
2 Fresh Pasta sheets cut into 3 inch circles or 4 inch squares
Progression: With a food processor or mixer puree the squash until smooth. Mix squash, ricotta, parmesan, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper to your liking.
To fill the raviolis: Lay out ½ the pasta cuts on a table or cutting board. Put 1 tablespoon squash filling in the center of each, using either a pastry bag or a small spoon. Leave a 1/2-inch border all around the filling. Brush with egg yolk and top with remaining rounds of dough. Be sure to press all the air out and seal firmly by pressing all around with fingertips. Dust lightly with flour to keep raviolis from sticking. To cook, boil in lightly salted water until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Reserve a tablespoon of pasta water. In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter with the sage and a pinch of salt until it foams and becomes light brown. Add cooked raviolis and a tablespoon of the pasta water to the pan and toss. Remove to a serving platter, top with a small amount of crushed ameretti cookies and serve immediately.
- Snow is turning the ground white again! 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow is turning the ground white again!
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos