6ABC Action News At 4
Reports: Concerns for women force out school's "Cougar" mascot
January 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- A school in Utah is overriding a student vote for the Cougar mascot, because they fear what it says about women.
The Corner Canyon High School allowed a student vote, and the mascot "Cougar" won over other choices like the Falcons, Raptors and Diamondbacks. The "Cougars" won the vote.
However, school officials have overridden the decision and are going with the "Chargers" instead, according to the school's website, saying that it has good "alliteration" and will "unify the community."
Because, according to some reports Mary Bailey, the prinicipal, said the term carries an ugly connotation that is disrespectful to women, and some parents complained about it.
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 16 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 36 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 29 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 31 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
27 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
16 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
31 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
36 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos