6ABC Action News At 4
Newark student, 12, launches iPhone game
NEWARK, Del. - January 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- This game is just one of the half million apps you can download on your iPhone or iPad. It's called "Dare to Be Square: The Adventures of the Red Square."
There are 10 levels where the square has to fight enemies of many shapes, and it's all the work of one very smart and savvy 7th grader from Delaware.
You can often find 12-year-old Rumi Khan taking notes in math class just like every other 7th grader at Newark Charter School.
But crunch some numbers of a different kind: There are currently more than 500,000 iPhone apps. This tween has created one of them. "It's a big deal," says Rumi Khan, 12, of Newark. "I can count the number of kids who made an iPhone app on one hand. It took me a long time actually, a few months of researching and looking at tutorials on the web."
Four months later and "Dare to be Square: The Adventure of the Red Square" was available in the app store.
Khan designed the shapes, crafted the graphics, and wrote the code and even founded his own company, Grabby Arm Games, and manages his own marketing.
"I released the app when it was 99¢, waited for a few weeks and made it free, and there were 700 downloads."
To be fair, he did need help with the music and his father handles the finances.
"Occasionally we take time to be proud of him," Muqtedar Khan says, "But the rest of the time we are working to manage him!"
In his spare time, Rumi writes more than code. He writes a blog about astrophysics and he is fleshing out a business plan.
"My app is free but I want to make some real money with this," he says. " I am going to create three apps that are really high in the rankings and then BOOM a paid one!"
So far the game has more than 1,100 downloads in more than 40 countries.
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine 21 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape 57 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos