6ABC Action News At 4
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - February 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- In South Philadelphia, Alicia Vitarelli she met some amazing women who are losing more than 100 pounds through some serious girl power.
It's all the work of one very special lady who created a special place for them to embrace a healthy, happy lifestyle...and she's leading by example.
Debra Mazda knows a thing or two about the power of positivity and a good push.
"At my top weight I was about 330 pounds and I have lost over 150 pounds," she says.
She started ShapelyGirl Fitness in South Philadelphia four years ago to inspire other women intimidated by exercise.
"I started classes for all women, but specifically for plus sized women."
Sally Weissinger was one of them.
"Most big girls do not feel comfortable working out in a place where there's skinny, fit women," Weissinger says.
Sherri Fisher shed more than 50 and says Mazda has been her mentor and her motivator.
"She said 'Oh you can do this.'" Fisher said. "I told her I couldn't... after sticking to it for about a year I lost 55."
They shimmy. They sculpt. They stretch. They celebrate their successes and together, they shake off the setbacks.
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police