6ABC Action News At 4
Aunt Roma's struffoli recipe from Zeppoli - 6at4
There's a South Jersey chef who makes a nostalgic Italian treat and serves it every day!
From Naples down through the south of Italy they have struffoli. In Naples they call it struffoli. In Sicily they call it Pignolotti.
Deep fried dough balls drenched in dollops of sticky honey; The Italian sweet treat is an Easter favorite.
"My grandmother used to make them. My aunt Roma, it's actually her recipe," told us. "When I first open(ed) she came here to oversee and make sure that the struffoli were being rolled properly!"
Joey Baldino opened Zeppoli in Collingswood 7 months ago. He serves authentic Sicilian specialties. He shared Aunt Roma's recipe, and some advice: "Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty!"
You can put together the recipe with a mixer, but it is always better to do it with your hands, Baldino told us.
Makes 10 servings
3 cups all-purpose flour (or as needed)
1 tablespoon sugar
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
Grated zest of 1/2 orange
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon grappa, rum, or vanilla
3 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
2 cups honey
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
Colored candy sprinkles
Stir flour, salt, lemon and orange zest in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the eggs, butter and grappa. Blend together with your hands, mixing in all the dry ingredients until smooth.
Remove the dough from the bowl and on a clean surface, lightly knead it for 4 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
Pull off quarter-size pieces of dough and roll into balls. Drop them into your oil (heated to 350° F). When golden brown (about 3 minutes in the oil) remove with a wire skimmer and let drain on a paper towel.
In a frying pan, blend together honey, sugar and water to make your Honey Syrup. Once blended, add your fried dough to the honey until all evenly coated. Remove from heat onto a platter or small plates and finish with sprinkles.
Joey serves complimentary struffoli with your check every day at Zeppoli.Zeppoli
618 Collings Ave.
Collingswood, NJ 08107
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 18 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting 30 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Woman crashes into tractor trailer in Mayfair 3 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Dozens charged in alleged slip and fall scheme
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting
30 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos