6ABC Action News At 4
A new hair solution for women: Evolve
PHILADELPHIA - July 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- A pressing issue for many women is thinning hair. Now, several salons in the Philadelphia area are offering a new approach that makes hair look fuller where they need it most.
For years, Rita Audia has seen her hair get thinner, and thinner, and thinner -- especially on top of her head.
It was emotionally painful, But she didn't want to hide under hats or wigs either.
At the urging of a friend, she became one of the first to try Evolve - a volumizing, semi-permanent hairpiece developed by a Philadelphia-area company. Stylists got together to learn how to put it on.
The human hair in Evolve is integrated with a woman's own hair, right where it's needed most.
"Extensions and wefts can only serve certain areas of the head," according to George Spirrh of Willings International, "so an extension or weft is not going to give you the volume and the fullness on top."
Evolve works with up to 50% hair loss, washes like natural hair, and can be used with extensions. It does have to be re-set every 4 to 5 weeks, depending on the speed a wearer's hair grows.
Rita told us it took some courage to try it, but she's glad she did.
"It did not hurt at all," she said, adding "I don't feel like I have it on my head. And it's pretty simple."
Users can either match their own hair or get a fantasy color. It costs between a $1,000 and $1,200 for the initial installation.
Here's a listing of Evolve stylists in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware:
Evolve Stylists in Pennsylvania:
Hairizons by Dawn
1422 North 18th Street
Allentown, PA 18104-1566 USA
Stylist: Dawn M. Scherr
Tundella & Co.
130 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19064
Stylist: Gustavo Tundella, Kat Spence
Adolf Biecker Spa/Salon
210 W. Rittenhouse Square
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Stylists: Paula Benjamin-Johnson, Carmela Cuce, Stephanie O'Kane, Hildegarde Kent
Adolf Biecker Studio
138 South 34th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Stylist: Joann Lanetti
Jean Madeline Salon
500 W. Germantown Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
Stylists: Paula Benjamin-Johnson, Joann Lanetti, Sue McGlade, Gabrielle Doran
912 Patton Street
Monroeville, PA 15146 USA
Stylist: George Spirrh
240 Powell Road
Springfield, PA 19064 USA
Stylist: Kat Spence, Jeanine Corliss, Nicole Phillis
Adolf Biecker Spa/Salon
508 W. Lancaster Avenue
Strafford, PA 19087
Stylist: Jenna Messerschmidt, Paula Benjamin-Johnson, Joann Lanetti
Evolve Stylists in New Jersey:
1220 RT 46 W
Parsippany, NJ 07054 USA
Stylist: Maryse Denzer
1980 Springfield Avenue
Maplewood, NJ 07040
Stylist: Tomeka James
Utopia Salon & Spa
349 E. South Avenue
Westfield, NJ 07090
Stylist: Robin Scott
Evolve Stylists in Delaware:
Yankee Clippers Hair Designs
30A NW 10th Street
Milford, DE 19960
Stylist: Kassie Attix
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 10 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 4 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Officials: Valentine's Day pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 19 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 9 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
4 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos