6ABC Action News At 4
Philadelphia spraying to fight West Nile - 6at4
PHILADELPHIA - August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania and Philadelphia crews were out Thursday night targeting mosquitoes.
In Abington Township the focus was on a cemetery in Ardsley and nearby PenBryn Park and pool.
Traps in both those areas have captured mosquitoes that tested positive for West Nile virus.
Philadelphia health department workers sprayed Pennypack Park.
Like much of the country there has been a dramatic upswing in the area in the number of reported cases of the disease this year.
The government says the death toll from the mosquito-borne illness is now up to 41. Even more have been sickened, developing severe fevers and in the worst cases paralysis.
At last check more than 1,100 cases had been reported in 47 states Including 2 in New Jersey and 8 in Pennsylvania. There's also one apparent case in Philadelphia that is expected to be confirmed Friday.
As for spraying most welcome it, but still have some reservation.
"I don't know enough about what they are doing," said Jim Ball. "Back in the 60s, they would have sprayed an entire pool of kids with DDT, so I assume they know more about what they are spraying."State and Philadelphia officials say the spraying it is not a threat to humans or pets.
The spray stays aloft and kills mosquitoes on contact. It is derived from the chrysanthemum flower.
West Nile Virus from the mosquitoes, when transmitted to people, can trigger an infection that can cause inflammation of the brain.
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 31 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 52 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 16 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
16 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos