6ABC Action News At 4
Much ado at local Blowout Bar
November 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- They are not full service salons, rather the latest beauty stops for women who are ditching the do-it-yourself wash and go and leaving the shampooing and styling to the pros.
You can get a curled look, a really poker straight look, or my favorite look for me I like volume and then straight
Women seeking salon fabulous locks of all shapes and styles are flocking to spots like the Makeup Bar in Cherry Hill.
"It takes them a long time to do it themselves," according to Lisa Severino of The Makeup Bar, "so they'd rather just come in here and have it done."
A blowout can stay fresh for days, and for $30 a pop, some women say they don't even own their own shampoo anymore!
"One of our clients who's a doctor comes in early in the week and then later at the end of the week. She doesn't have time to do it herself."
No cuts, no colors; styles are the only thing on tap... and a few cocktails. At Blo Out Dry Bar in Huntington Valley.
"Thirty-five dollars is an affordable luxury that you can do just the same way you get your nails done - once a week, twice a week, however much you need it," says Avi Shenkar of Blo Out Dry Bar.
Whether it's the working woman or the girl about town, they're open seven days a week and they keep the dryers going as late as 10 pm for walk-ins.
"If you have a date, any sort of business presentation, a party, you can come right in, get it done real quick and go out."
Simply order your style off the menu featuring a dozen jazzy-named hairdos; from jax -- a poofed up rock star style, to savannah - the big haired southern belle.
"I chose the Astoria," said Irene, a customer. "It's a full bodied, loose waves. It's not too tight of a curl for the evening. I'm really happy with it."
Look for 2 new Blo Out Dry bars coming soon to Old City and Rittenhouse. Right now, Heads and Tails in Rittenhouse Square is the only blow dry bar in Philadelphia.
"Sometimes it's just a little luxury that goes a long way," says Dana Morrison of Heads & Tails Beauty Boutique, "and you can leave here feeling like a brand new you without spending a ton of money."
Blowout Bar Locations:
The Make-Up Bar
Heads and Tails
Blo/Out Blow Dry Bar
B2 Salons by Bernard's
Andre Richard Salon
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 4 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases 59 min ago
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos