6ABC Action News At 4
Gifts that give
December 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Tis the season for gift giving! But did you know you can help countless charities while you shop, without spending an extra penny? Here are some special gifts you can give, that also give back.
Every T-shirt tells a story and every story supports a cause The story of the very first T-shirt that catapulted "Karma for a Cure" is a very personal one for founder and head designer Margaux Minutolo Margaux Minutolo, Karma for a Cure founder: "This one is for lung cancer, so it's the smoking skull. My idea came from being inspired by my father. He is suffering from stage 3 inoperable lung cancer."
She also hand-sketched the design in honor of her cousin, who recently lost his battle with addiction
"It says it was all a dream. It relates back to living that lifestyle and trying to overcome it."
The 24-year-old caters to philanthropic fashionistas with 5% of the total sale going to nearly 10 different charities.
The "Stop Hate" T-shirt benefits anti-bullying; The mind over matter slouch supports Parkinson's Disease research. Then there's the pit bull sugar skull for rational animal which supports at risk animals.
At US U.S. In Old City, sisters started a clothing line called Aso Damisi which includes one-of-a-kind colorful covered button necklaces handcrafted by women in Nigeria. (Nigerian Bib Necklaces from Aso Damisi )
"We felt what a great way to support this group of women doing beautiful and amazing work," they told us.
At Art in the Age in Old City, trendy Warby Parker glasses are budget friendly at less than $100 and they're stylishly charitable. For every pair sold, a pair is distributed to someone in need because as Minutolo says: "You give good karma you get good karma."
And Modern Family's Jesse Tyler Ferguson showed off his line bow ties called Tie The Knot. All of proceeds benefit The Human Rights Campaign.
Also mentioned in Alicia's report:
Tommy Hilfiger BHI Satchel at US U.S. Boutique in Old City
Giftsthatgive.com - 20% of your purchases from this e-tailer goes to your favorite charity
Goodshop.com - Get coupons, and then a charity that you pick gets money when you redeem your coupons.
Lazyangel.org - This is a browser plug-in that donates money to help feed hungry children.
Mulu.me - You make a board, kind of like Pinterest, and when someone buys something from your post a charity of your choice gets some of the sale.
Sharingspree.com - Part of the proceeds from this local daily deals site goes to charity.
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 50 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 49 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif. 14 min ago
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 30 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan...
38 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
31 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos