6ABC Action News At 4
The rise of Philadelphia's Fishtown
FISHTOWN - June 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- There's a renaissance happening in Fishtown! Frankford Avenue is on the rise and we checked in on a booming resurgence that starts at Girard and runs a few blocks north.
Fette Sau opened, last fall, and crowds snake down Frankford Avenue, waiting for a taste of the self-serve barbecue. You go in there, you serve yourself and then you just kind of find a table or a spot on a porch that looks like it was lifted from the South.
"It's like the Foodery on steroids," says Stefany Stuber, bar manager at Bottle Bar East.
There are 700 beers in bottles and 8 rotating drafts.
Right across the avenue, there's the Fishtown Tavern, re-opened under new owner Joshua Shemesh last June.
Developer Roland Kassis owns many of the buildings on this section of Frankford Avenue. When he walks the strip, his little dog Gee always in tow, everyone knows him.
"Roland's like the mayor," Joshua Shemesh, owner of Fishtown Tavern told us. "He's the mayor. His dog is the assistant mayor."
He's a man with a vision for making Frankford Avenue a thriving corridor.
"Every place is very unique," Kassis says.
For shoppers, there's neighboring father- and daughter-owned art and vintage stores and there's Adorn.
"We mostly feature our jewelry collection," says Sarah Lewis, the owner of, Adorn Boutique. "We also carry a small assortment of clothing and accessories."
Sarah designs all of the jewelry and makes most of it on site. She relocated from Northern Liberties a few years ago and says Frankford Avenue in Fishtown is the place to be.
"We just love it here," Lewis says. "It's so exciting to see all of the businesses coming in and it's just a really fun place to live."
Saturday night at 7 on FYI Philly we will also take you to the coffee shop, unique yoga studio, gym and even a soon to be boutique hotel that are also part of the rebirth!
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 21 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
21 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos