Former Eagle Freddie Mitchell indicted in tax scheme
PHILADELPHIA - March 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Freddie Mitchell made his mark during his four years with the Eagles, known mostly for his showboating antics, and that famous 4th and 26..
An indictment from a Florida grand jury charges Mitchell with conspiracy and income tax fraud..
It says he was recruited by a couple from Northeast Philadelphia to bring them professional athletes as tax clients..
The indictment says Jamie and Richard Walls falsified wage and tax statements to make it appear their clients were owed tax refunds of anywhere between $170,000 dollars and $1.9-million..
It says Mitchell helped bring in a professional athlete identified in the indictment only by the initials A.G..
It says Jamie and Richard Walls convinced A.G. that they could get him a $1.9-million tax refund..
The indictment charges they then falsified records for A.G. and submitted phony returns to the I.R.S..
Mitchell allegedly got a $100,000 up front payment from A.G. .
In all, the government contends the Walls' and Mitchell tried to collect a total of $2.2-million worth of phony refund claims on behalf of their clients..
RELATED: Read the full indictment
The indictment says they claimed those clients had been paid millions, and that millions were withheld from their paychecks by a company called Chameleon Enterprises..
At the time, the indictment says, Freddie Mitchell was the sole manager and employee of Chameleon Enterprises. .
Freddie Mitchell may need more than 4th and 26 to beat this rap. .
The two charges against him are felonies that could land him serious jail time. .
The Walls were arrested Sunday in Bensalem on a federal fugitive warrant.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, crime
- 2 winners in $636M Mega Millions drawing 35 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 48 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester 3 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem 1 min ago
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
48 min ago