1958 postcard mailed from Chicago finally arrives
CHICAGO (AP) - April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A postcard mailed from Chicago in 1958 has finally reached its intended recipient, but not without a little help from Facebook.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that a postcard depicting Shedd Aquarium recently arrived at Scott McMurry's Virginia home, more than five decades after his mom mailed it.
The 71-year-old says he immediately recognized his mother's handwriting.
The postcard was addressed to Clairmont Lane in Decatur, Ga., where McMurry grew up. But it recently arrived in Elizabeth Fulcher's mailbox on Clairmont Lane in South Daytona, Fla.
Fulcher posted a picture of the postcard on Facebook and her friends helped track down McMurry.
The half-century mail delay remains a mystery.
In the meantime, the aquarium has offered to give him a tour of the attraction that his late parents visited.
chicago, illinois, virginia, bizarre bazaar
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos