1958 postcard mailed from Chicago finally arrives
CHICAGO (AP) - April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A postcard mailed from Chicago in 1958 has finally reached its intended recipient, but not without a little help from Facebook.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that a postcard depicting Shedd Aquarium recently arrived at Scott McMurry's Virginia home, more than five decades after his mom mailed it.
The 71-year-old says he immediately recognized his mother's handwriting.
The postcard was addressed to Clairmont Lane in Decatur, Ga., where McMurry grew up. But it recently arrived in Elizabeth Fulcher's mailbox on Clairmont Lane in South Daytona, Fla.
Fulcher posted a picture of the postcard on Facebook and her friends helped track down McMurry.
The half-century mail delay remains a mystery.
In the meantime, the aquarium has offered to give him a tour of the attraction that his late parents visited.
chicago, illinois, virginia, bizarre bazaar
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death 51 min ago
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings