1958 postcard mailed from Chicago finally arrives
CHICAGO (AP) - April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A postcard mailed from Chicago in 1958 has finally reached its intended recipient, but not without a little help from Facebook.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that a postcard depicting Shedd Aquarium recently arrived at Scott McMurry's Virginia home, more than five decades after his mom mailed it.
The 71-year-old says he immediately recognized his mother's handwriting.
The postcard was addressed to Clairmont Lane in Decatur, Ga., where McMurry grew up. But it recently arrived in Elizabeth Fulcher's mailbox on Clairmont Lane in South Daytona, Fla.
Fulcher posted a picture of the postcard on Facebook and her friends helped track down McMurry.
The half-century mail delay remains a mystery.
In the meantime, the aquarium has offered to give him a tour of the attraction that his late parents visited.
chicago, illinois, virginia, bizarre bazaar
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 49 min ago
- Milder Monday 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 49 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 16 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 21 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 49 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
49 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
16 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
27 min ago
- Milder Monday
19 min ago