Jo Jo In The Spotlight Again
More than two decades ago he was jailed for one of Mercer County's more infamous crimes, now Jo Jo Giorgianni has surfaced again, this time as a republican party official.
Not everyone is happy to see Jo-Jo back:
Back in the 1980s the rotund steakshop owner Joseph Giorgianni, who weighed over 500 pounds, was known as "JoJo the quarter-ton rapist" after his conviction for molesting a 14-year-old girl.
Now Giorgianni's is an elected 3-term GOP committeeman in Trenton's North Ward and other republicans are not happy about it.
Bill Baroni/(R) Mercer Co. Assemblyman - "It's one of the most violent and most famous crimes in Mercer County history. The last thing I want is this person holding himself out as a leader of the Republican Party."
Giorgianni caught Baroni's attention this week when JoJo, as everyone still calls him, made headlines for an outburst during a trial where failed mayoral candidate and Democratic freeholder Tony Mack is alleging Mayor Doug Palmer's people rigged the election
But Action News also spoke to residents who say Giorgianni is a neighborhood leader who has helped those in the ward who need help.
Because committeeman is a party position, not a public one, the Attorney General's office says Republican Party rules would dictate whether Giorgianni can serve despite being a convicted sex offender.
What will happen remains to be seen but more than 20 years after his brush with the law Jo Jo Giorgianni finds himself back in the spotlight again.
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 13 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 33 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ