Girl Raped Inside Her Own Home
March 13, 2007 -- Police in Atlantic City are trying to track down the suspect who sexually assaulted a 10-year-old girl Sunday in her own home on Spray Avenue. And police say her family was home asleep when the rape occurred.
A neighborhood is in shock by news of a 10-year-old child being raped in her own home, as her parents and brother were asleep in other parts of the house. It happened on Spray Avenue Sunday morning around 6:30. The home is in the shadows of the casino district, and only a half block from the Atlantic City Police Department.
Sgt. Monica McMenamin of the Atlantic City Police Department told Action News, "An intruder, an individual, entered the residence through a window and sexually assaulted the child."
The child's injuries were so severe she was taken to Cooper Medical Center in Camden for treatment.
The suspect has been described specifically as a Mexican male, about 40-years-old with short black hair, dark eyes, about 5'7" and between 170 and 180 pounds.
The manhunt for the suspect has been intense. And as word of this heinous crime spreads ... concern is growing.
(Copyright 2007 by Action News and 6abc. All Rights Reserved.)
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad