Brother Kills Brother in Video Game Dispute
LANSDOWNE, Pa. - July 16, 2007 (WPVI) -- These are dark and painful times for the family who lives at a North Maple street home in Lansdowne.
It's where a 13-year-old allegedly stabbed his 16-year-old brother to death on Sunday.
According to the criminal complaint, 13-year-old Jahmir Ricks ran outside shouting "I stabbed my brother" as police arrived at the scene. Their mother reportedly ran out screaming the same thing. Margaret Rebstock was passing by as the tragedy unfolded.
"He was standing out there, crying and screaming and yelling and police took him and put in car. The mother was in hysterics. I felt so bad for her," said Margaret Rebstock.
The 13-year-old allegedly stabbed his older brother twice with a steak knife. The blade pierced 16-year-old Antwan Ricks in the heart and lung. He did not survive. Police believe the stabbing occurred during a dispute over a video game that became physical.
"I don't believe the actual game itself was the cause of it. I don't believe they were acting out in any way or mimicking anything in a video game. I believe it was actual use of the game and whose turn it was," said Lansdowne Police Chief Daniel Kortan.
Jahmir Ricks stands charged as an adult with first-degree murder. The family was too shaken to talk publicly about the domestic conflict that has taken the life of one brother and forever changed the life of another.
(Copyright 2007 by Action News and 6abc. All Rights Reserved.)
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated 30 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
19 min ago
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
43 min ago