Students arrested in Temple U. attack
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - February 28, 2008 (WPVI) -- Four students have been arrested in connection with a hate crime at Temple University.
The students are charged with beating a man outside the former house of a Jewish fraternity.
"It happened real fast, to be honest with you. Within a minute, we had been approached and my friend had been hit and they left," said a friend who was walking with the victim that night.Police on Thursday arrested three students: 20-year-old Michael Walsh, David Scott and his 19-year-old brother, Stephen. A fourth student, Brian Pedreiro surrendered to police on Wednesday.
The students are alleged to have used anti-Semitic slurs during the beating on Feb. 15 outside the former Alpha Epsilon Pi, an international Jewish fraternity. The victim was not a Temple student. The university held a forum to discuss the recent attack on campus on Thursday night. The father of the injured victim expressed his dismay over the attack. "My father is a survivor of Auschwitz. He thought he left Europe and left that behind him," he said.
Other Jewish students say there have been other incidents that have them alarmed.The head of the Anti-Defamation League praised the university for all it has done since the incident, but he also urged the school do more to address student concerns.
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 14 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila. 4 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
14 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
4 min ago
- Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos