Patient reports rape at psychiatric hospital
NEW CASTLE, Del. (AP) - April 21, 2008 -- Delaware State Police are investigating the alleged rape of a female patient inside what is regarded as the most secure building at the Delaware Psychiatric Center.
The investigation began after the woman tried to hang herself with a bed sheet. The woman told a counselor she attempted suicide because she had been raped by a male patient with a history of violence inside the hospital's Mitchell building. Hospital employees tell The (Wilmington) News Journal the same man last year punched a male nurse in the face, breaking bones around his eye.
Officials say that days before the rape, the man had consensual sex with another female patient who eluded sleeping staffers for the tryst. All three patients are being screened for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.
Patient safety is one focus of an ongoing investigation of the hospital by the U.S. Justice Department.
Information from: The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal, http://www.delawareonline.com
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Finally, a nice weekend! 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Finally, a nice weekend!
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos