Parton, Smith: Gospel Music Hall of Fame
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - January 8, 2009 -- Dolly Parton, Michael W. Smith, Dr. Bobby Jones, the Dixie Hummingbirds and producer Lari Goss will be inducted into the Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame next month.
The ceremony will be held Feb. 2 in Nashville.
"This year's class of GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame inductees have all achieved great professional and personal success in many different areas of the music and entertainment industries, but each shares a common heritage of the Gospels' powerful impact on their lives," said GMA President John Styll.
Parton is best known for her country and pop hits, but she's also released gospel records and mainstream songs with Christian themes. The Southern Gospel Music Museum and Hall of Fame is located on the grounds of her Dollywood theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tenn.
Smith is one of the best known artists in Christian music with 18 albums and many hits, including some that crossed over to the pop charts.
Jones is a singer and host and executive producer of the long-running "Bobby Jones Gospel" program on the BET cable network. He has a new series, "Bobby Jones Next Generation," on the Gospel Music Channel.
The Dixie Hummingbirds formed in 1928 and have influenced musical acts in several genres, including early soul singers such as Jackie Wilson and James Brown. They provided the distinct harmony vocals for Paul Simon's hit "Loves Me Like a Rock."
Goss, a keyboard player and arranger, has produced recordings by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, the Cathedrals, Ernie Haase & Signature Sound, Anthony Burger and the Gaither Vocal Band.
The selections were announced Wednesday.
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 16 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 10 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 48 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 39 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 42 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious' 53 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
20 min ago