Double Somerton murder
SOMERTON - July 17, 2009 (WPVI) -- It's been nearly 6 years since a brutal double murder in Philadelphia's Somerton section. The families hope their plea and a hefty reward will help them find justice.
This tree symbolizes a life taken too early.
"The tree represents something good coming out of all this."
Bethann Kozempel and Suzanne Fink planted the tree in memory of their father, George Strockbine. It sits in front of Lighthouse Soccer Club, a sport George loved.
"He grew up playing soccer through high school, said Bethann. "Then he got into referring."
Tuesday July 22nd, 2003 started as a typical day for George. He was taking a nap in the 10,000-block of Nandina Lane in Somerton. His girlfriend, Jeanne Kirschner, was taking care of things around the house.
Police say Jeanne's teenage son came home that night and found his mother stabbed to death at the bottom of the basement stairs. When emergency personnel arrived they found George's body with multiple stab wounds in a second floor bedroom.
"I just remember keep calling out and saying who could do this, why would it happen," said Suzanne.
Police put their time of death sometime in the late afternoon or early evening. There was no sign of forced entry but detectives say three of George's rings were missing. One was gold with a diamond and the letter "G" in the middle. Another was a dark blue sapphire and the third was gold with two diamonds in the upper left corner.
"We want whoever who may have any piece of information to just call."
The families have put together a $15,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
crimefighters, take action
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos