Reward increase in duct-taped cat case
PHILADELPHIA - September 24, 2009 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania SPCA has increased the reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever wrapped a cat in duct tape.
The reward was doubled to $2,000, the agency announced Thursday.
Authorities also said police are pursuing misdemeanor charges againt the animal abuser. The PSPCA said the charge carries the potential of up to one year in jail, a fine up to $2500 and prohibition of pet ownership of up to 1 year.
The cat, now named "Sticky," was found earlier this week.
Someone wrapped the cat, head to toe, in duct tape and then dumped her in a North Philadelphia yard. The woman who lives in the house on the 2200 block of Edgley Street just happened to notice the cat when she looked out her window
George Bengal from the PSPCA tells Action News, "I've never seen an animal totally like a mummy - wrapped in duct tape. It's the first time I've ever seen that. So, whoever did this took a lot of time. It was very methodical... [It is] a very sick individual that would do something like this to a cat."
Officers from the Humane Society brought the cat to the PSPCA shelter. It took an hour to free her from the cruel prison.
"They had a team of nurses and doctors who sedated the animal and slowly, methodically had to cut this duct-tape away," explains Bengal.
The SPCA said "Sticky" is recovering well.
Anyone with information should call the Pennsylvania SPCA's Cruelty Hotline at 1-866-601-7722.
- BIG STORIES: Get the most popular stuff on 6abc.com
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- Get the latest Philadelphia headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 52 min ago
- Record Warmth! 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall...
52 min ago
- Record Warmth!
37 min ago