Student hit by SUV in critical, stable condition
EAST ROCKHILL TWP., Pa. - January 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police say a middle school principal was the driver behind the wheel of an SUV that struck a Pennridge High School student on Monday.
The accident happened near Pennridge High School at 5th Street and Campus Drive at 6:45 a.m., while it was still dark.
Police say 15-year-old sophomore, Ricardo Smith, was hit when he stepped off the curb, crossing the street between the school and the development where he lives.
Smith suffered serious head injuries and was listed in critical but stable condition at Lehigh Valley Hospital.
Investigators say he was hit by an SUV driven by Dr. Margaret Kantes, the principal of Pennridge North Middle school.
After the accident, Dr. Kantes pulled over, police said, and rendered aid to the student until rescuers arrived.
Police tell Action News that Dr. Kantes identified herself at the scene to police and was very cooperative.
Police say it is unclear who is to blame for this accident. Dr. Kantes has not been arrested, as this investigation is just getting started.
"The department has impounded Dr. Kantes' car, to perform a search for any evidence pertaining to the accident," said Chief David Martin of the Pennridge Regional Police. "Dr. Kantes has been cooperative throughout this investigation."
Police also say that Dr. Kantes has voluntarily submitted to a toxicology test. There is no indication, so far, that drugs or alcohol played a role in this accident.
It is also unknown if speeding was a factor, as this accident happened in a 15 mph school zone.
The schools were reopening Monday following the winter break.
pennsylvania, school bus, accident, pedestrian struck, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight 41 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
42 min ago