Mrs. Fixit: Homemade Laundry Soap
January 17, 2010 (WPVI) -- Did you know with a few simple ingredients you can make your own laundry detergent and you can save yourself a fortune.
First, you'll need some natural bar soap for cleaning, some washing soda for removing dirt and odors, borax for brightening and deodorizing and water to meld it all together!
Fill a large pot with three cups of water and put it on the stove to heat up.
In the meantime, use a vegetable peeler or a box grater to shred a whole bar of soap.
Once the water has boiled, turn it down and add the soap shavings, stir them until they're completely melted.
Fill a large bucket that has a tight fitting lid with about three gallons of hot water. I picked up this bucket at my local home improvement center.
Pour one cup of washing soda, a third of a cup of borax and your melted soap mixture into the bucket, stir it until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
Leave the mixture to cool overnight. As with any large bucket, keep it out of the reach of your kids.
Once cooled, use a cup of detergent for each load of laundry.
I spent seven dollars on these ingredients made three times more than this and I have more than enough to make several more batches! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, action news
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 11 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!