Mrs. Fixit: Homemade Laundry Soap
January 17, 2010 (WPVI) -- Did you know with a few simple ingredients you can make your own laundry detergent and you can save yourself a fortune.
First, you'll need some natural bar soap for cleaning, some washing soda for removing dirt and odors, borax for brightening and deodorizing and water to meld it all together!
Fill a large pot with three cups of water and put it on the stove to heat up.
In the meantime, use a vegetable peeler or a box grater to shred a whole bar of soap.
Once the water has boiled, turn it down and add the soap shavings, stir them until they're completely melted.
Fill a large bucket that has a tight fitting lid with about three gallons of hot water. I picked up this bucket at my local home improvement center.
Pour one cup of washing soda, a third of a cup of borax and your melted soap mixture into the bucket, stir it until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
Leave the mixture to cool overnight. As with any large bucket, keep it out of the reach of your kids.
Once cooled, use a cup of detergent for each load of laundry.
I spent seven dollars on these ingredients made three times more than this and I have more than enough to make several more batches! I'm Mrs. Fixit and it's just that simple!
mrs. fixit, action news
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more