Double shooting at Bridge movie theater
UNIVERSITY CITY - January 15, 2010 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police and University of Pennsylvania police are investigating a double shooting that occurred at a University City movie theater.
It happened around 7:00 p.m. inside The Bridge located along the 4000 block of Walnut Street.
"All of a sudden, I heard five gunshots; they were rapid, really fast, and I saw people throwing themselves through the window onto the ground and rolling&and I just said run," witness Gabriella Yudenich said.
Police say a masked man forced his way behind a ticket counter and went for the cash.
"He produced a gun and robbed the box office point of gun; he did get an undetermined amount of cash," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
The suspect is described as a thin man, approximately 5'8 .
As the gunman tried to run off, he was confronted by an off-duty State Capitol policeman assigned to Philadelphia, who was apparently coming to see a film.
"The off-duty officer and the suspect did fire shots at one another; the off-duty officer was struck. We're not certain if the suspect was struck, because the suspect is still at large," Inspector Small said. A witness tells Action News he saw the suspect running away.
"There's a side door to theater and I saw a guy, running out holding a gun in his right hand; he looked like he was limping," witness Tom Balgrushunas said.
The officer is in stable condition.
A male Drexel University undergrad student, who was in the lobby at the time, was wounded in the leg after being caught in the crossfire. He is also listed in stable condition.
The suspect still remains on the loose.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, shooting, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 30 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
21 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
30 min ago