Students still out of dorm after CO scare
CENTER CITY - February 1, 2010 -- Officials have closed down a high-rise dormitory in downtown Philadelphia because of high levels of carbon monoxide.
Several hundred students at the Art Institute of Philadelphia were forced from the 14-story building before dawn Monday after carbon monoxide detectors went off. The dorm is home to about 550 students.
Fire officials say three women had to be taken to hospitals following the evacuation.
School spokeswoman Carise Mitch says about a half-dozen students complained of illness following the evacuation. Two went to hospitals and were later released.
The city ordered the building closed until the source of the gas is found. That could take several days.
Mitch says the students will be housed at hotels until they can return to the dorm.
Two restaurants on the building's ground floor are also shut down.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, carbon monoxide, local/state
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 2 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 47 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack 41 min ago
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ 47 min ago
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 38 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
47 min ago
- Katherine Scott reports on bitter cold...
58 min ago