2 dead in 3-car accident
PIKE CREEK, Del. - February 20, 2010 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police are investigating a three vehicle crash that resulted in the death of two females.
The crash happened just after 1:00 a.m. Saturday when a 2001 Buick Century was traveling north on Rt 7 north of Arundel Drive, while at the same time a 2009 Toyota Yaris and a 1996 Ford Mustang were traveling south approaching the Buick.
The Mustang sideswiped the Toyota prior to it entering the northbound lanes where it struck the Buick's left front. After the impact between the two vehicles, the Buick burst into flames.
Troopers have identified the driver of the Buick struck early this morning as Erin M. Giles, 26, Wilmington and her passenger Maren Johansen, 25, also of Wilmington. Both women died at the scene after their car burst into flames.
The driver of the Mustang, a 17-year-old girl from Milltown, was taken to Christiana Hospital with multiple lower leg fractures.
The operator of the Toyota, identified as Ihab Ibrahim, 35, of Wilmington was not injured.
Alcohol and speed do not appear to be a factor in the crash. Everyone was wearing seat belts with the exception of the 17 year-old driver, according to police.
The investigation is still ongoing and no charges have been filed at this time.
delaware, new castle county, accident, local/state
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 16 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 26 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- 'GMA' promotes Lara Spencer to co-host 25 min ago