SPCA seizes dogs, birds from Del. daycare
WILMINGTON, Del. - June 15, 2010 (WPVI) -- Investigators with the Wilmington SPCA raided a daycare center on Tuesday afternoon, removing a number of small dogs and birds.
The SPCA says it was working on an anonymous tip when it raided the "One Day at a Time" daycare at 1812 West 4th Street.
16 small breed dogs, mostly Chihuahuas, were found and one of the dogs was pregnant. Authorities also found 70 birds in the basement, the majority of which were not in cages.
"For the most part all of the small birds were just flying around. There was a tarp over the doorway in half the basement," said Kevin Jackson of the Del. SPCA.
It's unclear if there were any animals with the children on the first floor, but a spokesman for the Division of Family Services says the daycare's license was immediately suspended.
They added that owner Yolanda Villafane has been a licensed provider since December, 2005.
The division received one past complaint back in November about improper care of animals in the backyard but, after further inspection, no action was taken.
One woman, who would only say she knew the owners but would not give her name, believes the raid was unnecessary.
"I don't know what the purpose of this raid is. This person just had to tell us and we would have taken care of the problem ourselves," the woman said.
The homeowner has been charged with two cruelty to animal charges which are misdemeanor offenses - one for unsanitary conditions, the other for failure to provide sanitary drinking water to the animals.
It's still early in the investigation. The animals were taken to the SPCA where they all will need to be evaluated by veterinarians.
Whether they will eventually be adopted depends on if the owner is convicted.
delaware, wilmington, animals, local/state
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 2 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 59 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 14 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com! 56 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
36 min ago