Six vehicles involved in deadly crash on I-78
LOWER SAUCON TWP., Pa. - September 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- For the second straight day, emergency crews are on the scene of a deadly accident in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 78 in Northampton County.
It happened in the area of the Route 412 interchange in Lower Saucon Township, near the border with Bethlehem.
State police say a driver was merging onto I-78 westbound from the Route 412 ramp when he crossed both lanes of traffic and hit the truck. The truck then veered off into the median and through a guard rail.
The truck then went into the eastbound lane, hitting and killing a motorcyclist, a 53-year-old Bethlehem man.
The view from Chopper 6 HD showed the motorcycle wedged under the front of the tractor trailer.
Meanwhile, three other cars were involved in a crash in the backlog.
The flatbed tractor trailer involved stopped in the opposite side of the highway, facing oncoming traffic.
The roadway was completely reopened by 8:00 p.m.
This comes after a tractor trailer driver from Easton, Pa. was killed in a fiery crash that closed the eastbound lanes of Interstate 78 in Northampton County for nearly 11 hours Thursday.
Mario Chacon, a father of five children, died when he got out of his broken-down truck and was struck by a car.
accident, pennsylvania, local/state
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 24 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 53 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 53 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 15 min ago