The corn is popping in the field
ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. (AP) - September 8, 2010 -- How hot is it?
A Kentucky farmer says it's so hot, his corn is popping in the field.
The tale may not be as tall as a corn stalk, though.
Patrick Preston has sent a photo of the burst kernels to the Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service.
Extension agent Doug Shepherd tells a local paper he's never seen popped kernels like it before.
But he says the outer coat of a kernel can explode from heat after the ears are pollinated.
kentucky, farming, heat wave, bizarre bazaar
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police