The corn is popping in the field
ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. (AP) - September 8, 2010 -- How hot is it?
A Kentucky farmer says it's so hot, his corn is popping in the field.
The tale may not be as tall as a corn stalk, though.
Patrick Preston has sent a photo of the burst kernels to the Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service.
Extension agent Doug Shepherd tells a local paper he's never seen popped kernels like it before.
But he says the outer coat of a kernel can explode from heat after the ears are pollinated.
kentucky, farming, heat wave, bizarre bazaar
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman crashes into tractor trailer in Mayfair 1 min ago
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting 9 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 57 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 4 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Dozens charged in alleged slip and fall scheme
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
57 min ago
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting
9 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos