High school teacher saves life of student
PLAINSBORO, N.J. - October 28, 2010 (WPVI) -- There's a new hero in Middlesex County and it's a high school teacher who saved the life of one of his students earlier this week.
Monday seemed just like any other day for Trevor Warner, who's been a gym teacher at West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North for 16 years. But as he led a group of students out to work on the ropes course things changed quickly when a 15-year-old sophomore suffering a seizure had a heart attack and collapsed.
"It's amazing. I've heard of it before, but it's so very accurate that adrenaline just kicks in and you just do it," Warner said.
What Trevor did was call 911, send students for help, and immediately begin chest compressions - CPR.
Throughout the time he was administering CPR, Warner, the father of 2 from Richboro, Pa., continued talking to the stricken student who by then had begun turning blue.
"Don't leave me, don't leave me. Not now, keep fighting," Warner said.
Trevor says it gave him chills to learn the student remembers hearing him.
Police and EMTs arrived and took over the boy's care. He had to be hospitalized, but is recovering and will return to school soon.
Just before a class the next day, the teacher received a heartfelt e-mail from the student's mother saying "Thank you, thank you, thank you" for saving her son's life.
"I was a little late for that class because it took a little while to get myself together," Warner said.
"He did everything exactly right and because of that a student's life was saved," Principal Michael Zapicchi said.
"I'm so happy that I was prepared, that I did the right thing and that I made a difference in a young man's life because nobody's supposed to die when they're 15 years old," Warner said.
For this humble soccer coach, this was indeed a "good save."
To find local CPR, First Aid, AED and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC) classes in your area, click here.
new jersey, middlesex county, local/state, nora muchanic
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 28 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 26 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 27 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate...
57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
45 min ago