3 suspects in custody after Chester shooting
Chester, Pa. - April 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- As a vigil took place for 2 victims killed in a Chester shooting, 3 suspects were taken into police custody.
Police say they still have more people to find after nine people were shot inside Minaret Temple 174, at Fourth and Ward streets late Friday night in Chester.
"Innocent bystander," said Donna Fisher, a family member of one of the victims who was killed. "Just kids out, you know, at a birthday party. I just don't understand it."
Robel Laboy,18, and David Johnson, 19, were both killed in the gunfire.
All of the other victims are teens, sources say. They are hospitalized at Crozer Chester Medical Center. Police say the survirors are all listed in stable condition.
Police have one juvenile in custody charged with weapons offenses. Chester Police say ballistic tests will determine if he's charged with homicide. Two others, including Carlisha Coleman, 19, are charged with resisting arrest, risking a catastrophy and other related charges. The party was being held for Coleman's birthday.
The victims were celebrating when the shots rang out around 11:25 Friday night.
Dozens of purported witnesses have been bussed to police headquarters to be interviewed by detectives. Police have not released a motive for the shooting.
Police say witnesses are not cooperating. With more than 100 people packing the temple, investigators believe people know who opend fire. But officers fear the "Don't Snitch" mentality still has too strong a hold on this community.
shooting, chester, pennsylvania, homicide, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man abducted, robbed and shot in Rhawnhurst 23 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Tracking More Snow
5 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos