Timeline of Mumia Abu-Jamal's murder case
PHILADELPHIA - April 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- A timeline of the death-penalty case that began two decades ago with the shooting death of a Philadelphia police officer.
1982 - Former Black Panther and radio reporter Abu-Jamal is convicted of the Dec. 9, 1981, slaying of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner and sentenced to death.
1989 - The Pennsylvania Supreme Court affirms Abu-Jamal's conviction and sentence.
1995 - Abu-Jamal loses bid for new trial. Abu-Jamal's book, "Live From Death Row," helps attract supporters around the world.
1998 - The state Supreme Court rejects latest defense appeal.
1999 - The U.S. Supreme Court declines to review his appeal.
2000 - Amnesty International calls for a new trial. Some 6,000 people cram Madison Square Garden in Manhattan to show their support for Abu-Jamal, while off-duty New York police hold a counter rally. Supporters press their case at the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia.
2001 - U.S. District Judge William H. Yohn Jr. refuses to overturn conviction, but awards new sentencing hearing based on flawed jury instructions.
2008 - 3rd U.S. Circuit upholds Yohn's ruling.
2010 - U.S. Supreme Court orders 3rd Circuit to review its order for a new sentencing hearing.
April 26, 2011 - 3rd U.S. Circuit again grants new death-sentence hearing.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, mumia abu-jamal, police officer killed, police, local/state
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 58 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
48 min ago
- Art of Aging: Retirement opportunities
45 min ago