Family reunion celebrates the gift of life
OCEAN CITY - June 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- On Tuesday night, several generations of the Carnuccio family, originally from South Philadelphia, had many reasons to celebrate.
This is their 12th annual reunion where relatives travel from all over.
Tomorrow, Joseph Carnuccio will save the life of his brother Frank by giving him a kidney.
"I couldn't sit back and know I'm healthy, I'm able to give a kidney," Joseph said.
Frank couldn't find a match in his family.
So his brother Joseph entered a program through Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and volunteered to donate his kidney to a stranger.
In return, Frank received a kidney from an anonymous donor earlier this month and is recovering at home.
"It's a good deal, my brother gets a kidney, it saves his life; I donate a kidney and save someone else's life. How great is that?" Joseph said.
This was Frank's second time getting a kidney.
17 years ago, his other brother Larry gave him the vital organ. Talk about brotherly love.
"It was a little uneasy feeling, but I never waiver in my commitment to do it; I was happy to do it," Larry said.
Joseph says his donation tomorrow is what family is all about.
"With my family and the love and Jesus Christ leading the way, I can't ask for anything more," Joseph said.
Joseph who lives in California will report to the hospital early Wednesday morning for his surgery. Recovery will take a few weeks so he won't be able to travel back home for another month.
new jersey, ocean city, ocean county, pennsylvania, philadelphia, south philadelphia, local/state, kenneth moton
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 23 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 23 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 32 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
23 min ago
- TONIGHT at 11: How the right bra can make...
12 min ago