Suspect in Yeadon hit-and-run surrenders
YEADON, Pa. - June 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- The driver suspected in the Delaware County hit-and-run that was caught on surveillance video has turned herself in.
Wilaisha Rankins, 32, surrendered to Yeadon Police on Friday afternoon accompanied by another woman, who was not immediately identified.
When Action News asked Rankins why she drove away after the crash, that other woman said "she was afraid."
That woman also disputed earlier reports that Rankins is a nurse.
Police say Rankins was behind the wheel of a car that slammed into a 7-Eleven clerk, knocking him through a storefront window.
Surveillance cameras captured the dramatic footage back on June 9th at around 10:30 p.m. The car, allegedly driven by Rankins, is shown crashing into a man and pushing him into the 7-Eleven store on Church Lane in Yeadon, Pa.
Moments later the passenger, now identified as Tylese Pitts, is seen stepping out of the car and leaving.
Ultimately, a male passenger and the driver also flee with no one rendering aid to the man who was run over.
On Wednesday, that silver 2007 Dodge Caliber was found at 54th and Vine in Philadelphia. Police say it had damage consistent with the accident.
Pitts has come forward and told authorities they were out drinking at a bar shortly before the car crash. It is not likely she will face charges.
Reporter Dan Cuellar asked her on Tuesday night why she didn't stop to help.
"I was in shock into the whole situation; I've never been through anything like this in my entire life. I was in total shock."
The victim, Gejea Ejeta, a native of Ethiopia, is still recovering from the accident with an injured leg.
pennsylvania, delaware county, hit and run, caught on camera, crime
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged 4 min ago
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 30 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
43 min ago