Girl dies at sleepover after drinking spiked soda
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - July 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities said Monday alcohol was a likely factor in the death of a 14-year-old Northern California girl after she and three friends drank an unknown substance mixed into soda during a weekend sleepover.
Paramedics found Takeimi Rao of Santa Rosa dead in her bedroom around 9 a.m. Sunday. Her parents could not be immediately reached for comment.
The girl, who was entering high school in the fall, was hosting a sleepover Saturday night, Sonoma County sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.
"We believe they were drinking alcohol," O'Leary said. "Right now we are investigating the death as suspicious, but we think it may be accidental."
O'Leary said results from an autopsy being performed Monday and toxicology tests could take up to two weeks.
Rao's mother told authorities she woke up early Sunday and saw two of the girls throwing up. They told her they were suffering from food poisoning as she helped clean them up and put them back to bed.
The mother woke up about an hour later when her daughter and another girl began vomiting. Hours later, two of the girls had already been picked up by their parents and a third was in the shower when Rao's parents tried waking their daughter.
Rao's friends later told investigators the girl had passed around a soda that had tasted strange, but they said they didn't know what was in it.
Authorities advised the girls' parents to take them to a hospital as a precaution.
"Obviously, parents need to talk with their kids and discuss the dangers of consuming alcohol and maintain an open line of communication," O'Leary said.
san francisco, california, alcohol, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 1 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 44 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
44 min ago