DA: Ex-NJ cop DUI in crash that killed 2 bikers
EASTON, Pa. - July 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- A former New Jersey police officer is facing vehicular homicide charges in the deaths of two motorcycle club members he allegedly struck while driving drunk in Pennsylvania.
Forty-nine-year-old John Heaney III, of Lopatcong Township, New Jersey was arraigned Wednesday before a Pennsylvania magistrate in the July 1 crash that killed two members of the Last Chance Motorcycle Club in Northampton County.
Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said, at the time of the crash, Heaney's pickup truck veered into the wrong lane on Route 512 near Bangor and collided head-on into one motorcycle, which triggered a chain-reaction crash.
Investigators say Keith Michaelson, of West Milford, N.J. and Michael Zadoyko, of Pompton Lakes, N.J. were killed in the crash as club members rode to a funeral for a fellow member. Six others were hurt.
Members say the riders support each other while battling drug and alcohol addictions.
Heaney is being held on $50,000 bail. His attorney did not immediately return a phone message.
Heaney is charged with two counts each of homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, involuntary manslaughter, four counts each of aggravated assault by vehicle, aggravated assault by vehicle while driving under the influence, ecklessly endangering another person and numerous counts of careless driving and related offenses, according to court documents.
Above photo courtesy The Express-Times of Easton
pennsylvania, northampton county, accident, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 1 min ago
- Windy and cold today 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 31 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 59 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft 20 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 27 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
59 min ago