DA: Ex-NJ cop DUI in crash that killed 2 bikers
EASTON, Pa. - July 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- A former New Jersey police officer is facing vehicular homicide charges in the deaths of two motorcycle club members he allegedly struck while driving drunk in Pennsylvania.
Forty-nine-year-old John Heaney III, of Lopatcong Township, New Jersey was arraigned Wednesday before a Pennsylvania magistrate in the July 1 crash that killed two members of the Last Chance Motorcycle Club in Northampton County.
Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said, at the time of the crash, Heaney's pickup truck veered into the wrong lane on Route 512 near Bangor and collided head-on into one motorcycle, which triggered a chain-reaction crash.
Investigators say Keith Michaelson, of West Milford, N.J. and Michael Zadoyko, of Pompton Lakes, N.J. were killed in the crash as club members rode to a funeral for a fellow member. Six others were hurt.
Members say the riders support each other while battling drug and alcohol addictions.
Heaney is being held on $50,000 bail. His attorney did not immediately return a phone message.
Heaney is charged with two counts each of homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, involuntary manslaughter, four counts each of aggravated assault by vehicle, aggravated assault by vehicle while driving under the influence, ecklessly endangering another person and numerous counts of careless driving and related offenses, according to court documents.
Above photo courtesy The Express-Times of Easton
pennsylvania, northampton county, accident, local/state
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief