Multiple bear sightings in the burbs
SOLEBURY TWP., Pa. - July 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- The search is on for a bear that's been spotted in several locations in Bucks County.
Jay Siano of Solesbury Township was startled Friday morning. He was sitting at his desk behind the windows.
"I am looking out window and here is this big black bear in my back yard," said Jay Siano.
Siano grabbed his camera and snapped a picture as the big fuzzy guy mossied over to nibble on some fig trees.
"I took the picture, he looked at me and then he just disappeared out into the back," said Siano.
A fleeting, but by no means unique encounter, just an hour earlier not far away Amy Hamilton thought she saw a dog just off her back deck.
"I was like whoa that's not a dog! That's not a dog, that's got big paws!" said Amy.
Since Thursday, there have been multiple bear sightings in Bucks county, first in Plumstead Township and Friday in Solebury.
Some have seen two bears together, a mother and cub, and later reports have sightings in nearby Upper Makefield.
Rick Macklem is the guy called when bears are spotted roaming in parts of suburbia. He checked out the snapshot."I would go ahead and say that this bear is probably last year's cub. He's not going to be very big, maybe 130 pounds," said Macklem.
The wildlife conservation officer had this advice if you see an example of Ursus Americanus.
"Stay inside your house or stay away from it. If it appears to be coming at them, make lots of noise. Bears are more scared of you than you are of it. Just simple yelling, clapping your hands will scare it off," says Macklem.
Also seal up trash cans, and take down bird feeders. Amature video shows bird feeders are bear magnets.
It is estimated that there are 8,000 to 10,000 bears in Pennsylvania, most reside far from populated areas.
So where did the morning visitor or visitors go to? It's Impossible to say. Bears can range for miles. There could be a bear napping behind some trees or they could be miles away.
pennsylvania, bucks county, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 3 min ago
- Temps Soar 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 6 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 21 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 23 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 13 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
19 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
13 min ago