Police ID driver killed in crash with crane
NEWARK, Del. (AP) - July 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- New Castle County paramedics say a driver trapped in her car after it crashed into a pile driver has died.
The incident happened at approximately 1:37 p.m. Sunday on State Route 1.
Delaware State Police say 29-year-old Jennifer Kemp of Newark, Del. was driving a 1997 Chrysler Sebring when, for unknown reasons, she traveled off of the west edge of the roadway and into the center median. The Sebring continued northbound on the center median travelling approximately 200 feet into a construction zone before colliding head-on with a steel pile driver construction tower, trapping Kemp inside.
Kemp sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Kemp was the sole occupant of the vehicle and was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Preliminary investigation does not indicate that alcohol was a factor in the crash.
State Route 1 was shut down in both directions near the Christiana Mall between state Route 273 and Churchmans Road for approximately 3 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.
The Delaware State Police Crash Reconstruction Unit continues to investigate the crash and requests anyone who may have witnessed the crash to contact the Delaware State Police CRU at 302-834-2620 Ext. 278 with information.
delaware, new castle county, accident, local/state
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 50 min ago