Police ID driver killed in crash with crane
NEWARK, Del. (AP) - July 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- New Castle County paramedics say a driver trapped in her car after it crashed into a pile driver has died.
The incident happened at approximately 1:37 p.m. Sunday on State Route 1.
Delaware State Police say 29-year-old Jennifer Kemp of Newark, Del. was driving a 1997 Chrysler Sebring when, for unknown reasons, she traveled off of the west edge of the roadway and into the center median. The Sebring continued northbound on the center median travelling approximately 200 feet into a construction zone before colliding head-on with a steel pile driver construction tower, trapping Kemp inside.
Kemp sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Kemp was the sole occupant of the vehicle and was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Preliminary investigation does not indicate that alcohol was a factor in the crash.
State Route 1 was shut down in both directions near the Christiana Mall between state Route 273 and Churchmans Road for approximately 3 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.
The Delaware State Police Crash Reconstruction Unit continues to investigate the crash and requests anyone who may have witnessed the crash to contact the Delaware State Police CRU at 302-834-2620 Ext. 278 with information.
delaware, new castle county, accident, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 2 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 22 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 42 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom