Phillies' Victorino opens new Boys & Girls Club
Thursday, September 22, 2011
NICETOWN - September 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- On the baseball field, Shane Victorino is as tough as they come but it was a proud moment for the Phillies' center fielder, when he helped open a new Boys and Girls Club.The club is a newly renovated building in the Nicetown section of the city. The Shane Victorino Nicetown Boys and Girls club now bears his name, and no small amount of his pride. "I know that for the rest of my life that I'll make an impact. My kids can come back and say look at what my dad did for our community," said Victorino. The building was first opened in 1906 so it was in desperate need of repair. Along with his wife Melissa, Victorino pledged $1 million to turn what was a dilapidated, dangerous structure into newly reformed building. It now has a computer room, lounges, study rooms, a new gym and 16,000 square feet of space to serve 300 kids every day. "Hopefully one day someone will say Shane Victorino made an impact in my life and that's more than just giving them someplace to go," said Victorino. On a stage that included ESPN's Chris Berman, Phillies President David Montgomery and the Executive Vice President of Major League baseball, the significance of this donation greatly recognized. However, it was two other guests whose presence proved this was much more than a check to charity. With a hug, Victorino's parents flew 5,000 miles from Hawaii to be there, showing what may be the only greater pride than what the city has for this slugger.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
philadelphia phillies, mlb
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested 12 min ago
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 children rescued in SW Phila. house fire 24 min ago
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 3 children rescued in SW Phila. house fire
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos