Schuylkill Expressway reopens following crash at Gladwyne
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. - October 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Schuylkill Expressway has reopened after a crash closed both directions of the highway for most of the morning.
The accident happened around 5:30 a.m. Thursday in the westbound lanes of I-76 near the Conshohocken Curve at the Gladwyne exit.
A car and a tractor-trailer collided, sending the vehicles into the center median.
The vehicle impact with the median scattered concrete debris onto the eastbound lanes of the Expressway.
Westbound traffic was closed for three hours while crews worked to clear the scene. Eastbound traffic was also closed for a time while the debris was cleared from the roadway.
One injury was reported, but it is unknown how seriously that person was hurt.
Meanwhile, the crash meant the morning rush was more of a crawl on I-76 and the surrounding roads.
"We live in Manayunk. It took a half hour to get from Ridge Avenue to here. Normally takes two minutes," said Oliver Assiran.
Some drivers saw the traffic tie-ups on the news and left extra time.
"I called ahead of time and I left early," said Sarah Wolf of Holland, Pa. I'm good."
pennsylvania, montgomery county, schuylkill expressway, accident, traffic
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 6 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 30 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
57 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
6 min ago