Black ice sparks multiple accidents on I-95
Sunday, October 30, 2011
BRISTOL TWP., Pa - October 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police say black ice from Saturday's snowstorm is to blame for a number of collisions including a 30-car pileup on I-95 in Bucks County.
The massive collision happened around 2:45 a.m., between Street Road and Route 413 in Bristol Township. Police say it was a chain reaction crash in the northbound lanes of the highway. Numerous ambulances and tow trucks were called to the scene. At least 12 people were taken via ambulance to area hospitals for treatment. No word on their conditions. A short time later, an SUV travelling in the southbound lanes of I-95 struck a patch of black ice. The vehicle then hit a guardrail before going over an embankment and landing onto the Pennsylvania Turnpike below. Two people inside the vehicle were killed and two others were injured. Those killed in the crash have been identified as 25-year-old Richard Richard Nagbe of Upper Darby, Pa. and 31-year-old Dehkontee Kpou of Philadelphia. 33-year-old Emmanuel Ninwillay of Philadelphia remains hospitalized with serious injuries. 23-year-old Giftens George of Philadelphia is also hospitalized with minor injuries. Also along I-95, in Northeast Philadelphia, portions of the highway were closed after a series of fender benders and spinouts overnight. The highway has since reopened.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
pennsylvania, bucks county, accident, snow, severe weather, local/state
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 31 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
31 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos